Sunday 22 January 2012

House Update


The aim was to have most of the house done by now. Christmas and the new baby being the deadlines. And I think, more or less, we're there. There are a few more rooms that we'll do when we've lived here for a year or two; turning the attic into Chaz's office, making our bathroom a dressing room and some more major wallpapering...
But for now we can wash out our paintbrushes, hang up the dust sheets and enjoy.


Obviously there have been moments when I've wanted to fling myself off the nearest tall building but on the whole I have loved everything about doing up the house. Having, more or less, a blank canvas, with only imagination to restrict me, has been an incredible experience. I've worried that i've gone too far sometimes with wallpapers. On certain days the green, Sanderson sensation on the upstairs landing can feel a bit like being in a jungle. And the Hague blue in our bedroom can make me feel slightly Morticia Adams-esque. But I feel it's better than playing safe. We can do sensible and neutral in fifty years time. And, if we really don't like something, change is it's only another coat of paint away.




My favourite rooms are the ones painted by Fifi McAlpine. I still can't walk past either one without going in and marvelling at her how beautiful they are. They're like stepping into huge pieces of art.





We painted the sitting room in Farrow and Ball 'Pigeon' which rather disarmingly completely changes colour at different times of the day.







My new obsession - an antique Indian chest from Bluedog & Saught in Woodstock.



The Sanderson jungle





Our Hague Blue bedroom

No comments: