Monday 1 August 2011

Ten Minutes With...Sophia Rogge




Eco Designer, Coral Crusader and Model



What makes you happy?

My friends laughing. Each of my closest friends have quite distinct laughs and it really makes me giggle when I hear the cacophony of their united cackles!

What gets you out of bed in the morning?

The sunshine.

What annoys you?

My inability to be organised.

If you didn't live in London, where would you live?

In a tree house, and my bed would be built from the trunk of an olive tree around which the house has been constructed a la Odysseus and Penelope.

Current Obsessions?

Ryan Gosling. Ryan Gosling. Ryan Gosling. Ryan Gosling. Ryan Gosling. Ryan Gosling.

And... Coconut water, Fulvic Acid, Twitter, Roasted Beetroot, Orly's Blue Suede nail varnish and the musical genre Swamp Pop.

Describe yourself in three words?

Brown Eyed Girl

What inspires your designs?

Corals. I find their organic patterns and hallucinogenic colours constantly inspiring, each of my collections will always be inspired by corals.


Sophia's cashmere scarf design

Face of LK Bennett, Designer - what's next?

I'll be representing LK Bennett during London Fashion Week in September, the campaign Life is the Occasion has been a really wonderful project to be a part of.

And I'm bringing out a limited edition Valentine's Day sarong with hearts and corals all over it, 10% of the profits will go to Coral Conservation. Plus, I hope to design coral patterns in a collaboration with a dress designer and bikini designer for next summer.


Favourite smell?

Such a hard question for me! I adore so many different smells but I particularly love floral scents and my favourite of all is Dama de la Noche, night blooming jasmine. Its most commonly found in Spain and reputedly keeps mosquitoes away but I just love its strong aroma on a warm summers evening.


Last fashion disaster?

A while ago I wore a slightly too risky red dress to a friend's wedding. A mistake never to be repeated.


What would you eat at your last supper and which five people would be joining you?

Pici pasta, local to Tuscany, with pumpkin sauce and pecorino. Followed by Veal Escalope with Lemon and Sage. And for dessert Vanilla Ice cream with Balsamic Vinegar. I've recently been introduced to drinking some red wines chilled, so I would give my guests a few cooled bottles of Pinot Noir to enjoy over dinner.

Pici Pasta

I would invite my two German grandmothers, both wonderful characters and both of whom I deeply wish I'd know better.

Cath Kidson, I'd like to pick up a few business tips from her.

Isabel Marant, I'd totally suck up to her with the view that perhaps we'd become best friends and she'd gift me all her latest collections.

And of course Ryan Gosling.

Isabel Marant

Who would you love to see wearing one of your designs?

My Dad! No seriously, there are so many women I'd love to see in my designs. The beauty of the sarong is that its one size fits all, there are so many different ways to wear it.

The Cobalt Sophia Rogge sarong


Last impulse buy?

In almost every other area of my life I am impulsive but not when it comes to shopping. I'm cool, calm and calculated when it comes to retail therapy.

Who do you admire?

My mother, she is akin to Wonder Woman.

What makes you laugh?

When I was younger I used to think I was far too sophisticated for toilet humor but as I get older its the sillier jokes that really make me laugh.

What's on your bedside table?

Everything! Jurlique Jasmin handcream, Organic Pharmacy supplement vitamins, Dermaolgica lip balm, Diptyque interior scent: Mimosa, Le Labo perfuming balm: Jasmine, a few Swatch watches, a USB stick and an external hard-drive for my Mac, a photo of my parents from the 90s, a jade figurine of a dog (I was born in the year of the Dog) and a rose quartz crystal, which aids all matters of the heart.

Jasmine Le Labo scent

Top tip for seduction?

A beautiful scent. Smells have an uncanny power to move us. A whiff of pipe tobacco, a long-forgotten scent or a particular perfume can instantly conjure up scenes and emotions from the past... or visions of the woman wearing it. An admirer just bought my favourite scent back from New York for me, Bond no 9: Saks Fifth Avenue. It was a labour of love as the bottle is extremely expensive and it comes in a wonderfully huge box.

Bond No 9 Saks Fifth Avenue Scent

Favourite London hangout?

My favourite London hangout is Portobello Road during the week days, as I work from home I try to eat lunch out and there are so many delicious options from street vendors to local restaurants. I buy all my veggies, bread and cheeses from the stall holders. I've lived there for the last 8 years and I still get a bit of a rush when I stroll home down the Portobello Road. I am reminded of the song Portobello Road from Bedknobs and Broomsticks, my favourite childhood film.

Portobello Market


Best beauty secret?

Skin Radiance supplement vitamins. You glow from the inside out.

Sophia with Otis Ferry


www.sophiarogge.com


No comments: