Sunday 17 July 2011

Mad for Mochilas




There was a girl on the beach in St Tropez this week with the coolest bag. It was huge, woven neon pink and turquiose, with a stripey, ikat-y long shoulder strap. And pompoms. Heaven. After a couple of hours of research, I've found out that it's a Mochila bag - the traditional woven bag indigenous to the women of Colombia, in South America. It takes the ladies over forty hours to make each bag and no two designs are ever the same. I adore the loud, neon coloured varieties of them and cant think of anything more perfect for my next bit of beach action.

Last year there was a project called the 'Mochila Project' where top designers were given one of the bags and then let loose on it. Below are some of the results. I cant decide which I love most, Matthew Williamson's or Missoni's creation...

Roger Vivier

Moschino

Missoni

Matthew Williamson's

I've been trying to get hold of one myself but most of the real beauties are in America. There are a couple of places here in the UK that are selling them too though. Wayuu Taya is selling a few on Netaporter.com for about £145




Another lovely lady is importing them and selling them on her website www.mochilabags.co.uk





www.netaporter.com
www.etsy.com/Dizzybydesign
www.faridaspassions.com

1 comment:

Bizzydizzy said...

Thank you so much for the mention. I must also say that my bags are also a lot cheaper than netaporter. Fond wishes and kindest regards, Dizzybydesign founder of www.mochilabags.co.uk