Tuesday 15 March 2011

Red Tomato


I made these little tomato sensations last night and thought I should share them. They are a Skye Gyngell recipe and an essential part of her 'toolbox'. IE she is never without them in her kitchen. My Mama always has a huge stash of them ready and waiting to throw into a salad or pasta; they are very, very delicious. I'm used to making them with her in Wales in the bottom left of the Aga so last night was a bit of trial and error, using a bog standard electric oven. I put them in at about 120 degrees for three hours and they are a vision, if I do say so myself.




Slow roast tomatoes

About 20 baby tomatoes
sprinkling of salt and pepper
half a teaspoon of brown sugar


Cut the tomatoes in half and lay them out neatly next to each other in a baking tray.
Sprinkle with the salt, pepper and sugar and put in the oven at a very low, gentle heat, about 120 degrees. Or if you're lucky and have an Aga, bottom left all the way.
Keep checking on them as it's very easy to frazzle them. But generally leave a few hours for them to be ready.
When they are done, they'll keep for a week or so. Or if you want to preserve them for longer, put them into a sterilised jar with a bit of olive oil.
They are great for adding to a pasta, a salad or just having as a little snack when you're peckish even.






No comments: