Sunday 19 December 2010

Pretty Birdies

There's something about birds that I love. Im not quite sure what it is. Maybe their busyness. They're always tippy tapping around like old women, nosing around, wondering what their friends are up to next to them.
I became obsessed with the birds on our honeymoon in the Seychelles and was so sad to leave behind the little neon orange beauties that hopped around my breakfast bowl every morning, chirpsing away with no cares in the world.



Honeymoon birdies




There's a wonderful gallery called the Oriel Gallery near our home in Wales that i've been going to since I was tiny. A few Christmases ago they had an exhibition of Cathy Miles's work, an English metal smith who creates 3-d drawings about common bird life using wire and other bits of random material. Quite childlike but very original and she does make to order occasionally if you ask nicely.









A selection of Cathy Miles's work
www.cathymiles.com

www.orieldavies.org




Another bird fanatic is Abigail brown. She makes the coolest little bird sculptures by hand using new and vintage fabrics. They look so lifelike I almost thought they were real when I first came accross them. I'd love to build up a collection of them and have them dotted around my kitchen.








Some of Abigails work from about £140
the pieces are about 15cms in height
www.abigail-brown.co.uk

No comments: